PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
v

17 February 2014

MSG Poisoning - Our Scary Story!

So, remember when I was trying to do a post on health every week?  52 Weeks?  

Ugh.  I hate it when I can't stick to my own ideas.  Alas, I find motherhood always calls.  I have a post written in my drafts about MSG but I think this one will scare you into avoiding it more than my original idea.

We went out for dinner yesterday.  Lunch rather, after meeting up with my sister, her hubby and my niece at Home Depot.  

We never go out to eat.  
Seriously. 
Never.
 
There is a fun place in the Chicago suburbs; dark, cozy, good burgers and the kids love it.  As we sat down my sister and I made snarky conversation pretending to ask the waitress if their beef was grass-fed and organic, Yeah, cause we won't eat conventional beef or GMO filled beer... but we'll mow on your MSG laced popcorn all afternoon.  I joked.  My sister bursting into laughter.

Turns out.  Not so funny.

We got home, spent the evening as a family and commenced the tuck-in hour during which I began to feel dizzy, just slightly; so that I wondered if I was imagining things.  But it began to get worse.  I almost asked the family if they thought there was an earthquake.  Then I felt a flutter in my heart as I leaned over the baby to change her diaper but again, I brushed it off and thought, Surely my heart did not not have a palpitation.  I must really be imagining things.  Then I noticed I was stumbling as I walked.  I then actually tumbled down in the hall way.  Not a hard fall, but I ended up on the floor.  I went into Aidan's room where all the action was happening and told them what was up.  Joel confessed he felt a little weird but he didn't expand on it.  It was just so odd and I expected it to go away at any second.  I then laid down with the baby to nurse and the room began to spin.  Like when you are drunk.  (Yes, sadly, I've been drunk.)  Seriously.  The chandelier was just zooming by over and over again.  I laid very still, praying for it to stop and nursed her into oblivion.  Then I went back into the kids' quarters to pick out the next day's clothes and kiss them goodnight.  I felt a little better but standing at the girl's closet I felt it again.  I stumbled over to their beds and quickly sang and kissed them goodnight.  I fell over onto Juliette's bed and began to get a bit nervous.  I scared Amélie.  What the heck was wrong with me?  

The baby woke up so I went back into her and again the ceiling just went round and round in circles.  It was a ride and I wanted OFF.

Finally everyone was asleep and Joel went with me down the stairs.  I went to the couch and slumped down and things began to get worse.  The room wobbled and my legs got really heavy.  My arms did not want to function, my heart fluttered again in my chest and I slouched over, very tired, to one side.  I actually had the thought, I wonder if I am going to die?  Joel then told me that when he woke up from snuggling with the boys he laid there thinking he was going to have a panic attack.  He said he could hear his heart in his ears and his hands were swollen.  He had pressure across his forehead.  He took my pulse which was barely there and then would surge.

What the hell was going on?

We prayed for each other and Joel asked, Do you think it's something we ate?  As he got up to dial my sister to see how they felt I exclaimed, The popcorn!  That popcorn had to be covered in MSG ridden flavoring.  They served it before the food and we ALL munched on it.  I noticed while sitting at the table that there was this goober on the roof I my mouth.  It was so disturbing that I stuck my finger in there and scraped my nail across the roof of my mouth to get rid of it.  I mentioned this to Joel as he began to google "MSG poisoning" and he said he did the SAME thing!  

My sister said they felt fine but she confessed that perhaps it's because they go out to eat a lot more than we do.  Perhaps they were more used to it or not as sensitive.

Joel found a list of MSG poisoning symptoms.  Here's what we read on NaturalNews.com:
The following are some of the symptoms you may develop from eating food laced with MSG. Headaches, numbness, dizziness, burning sensations in the neck and chest, tingling nausea, palpitations, elevated blood pressure, difficulty breathing, panic attacks, sleepiness, depression, confusion, cognitive disorder, and food cravings are common symptoms for sensitive people.


I have always noticed my heart racing in the middle of the night if I have MSG which is why I avoid it like the plague at all costs.  I don't know why my judgement lapsed so poorly yesterday but I sure paid the price.  


We took the recommended cream of tartar cure and just quietly watched an episode of Sherlock waiting to feel better.  I finally began to drift off and went to bed.  Slightly dizzy.  Joel stayed up.

This morning he felt better.  I was horribly dizzy when I woke up and my face was terribly puffy.  It's now 4:06 and I finally feel like myself with the occasion woosh of disorientation but as fast as it's there, it is gone.  

Our sweet Hoolie woke up in the night twice screaming from neck, face and shoulder pain.  She's only four so we can't figure out if she hurt herself out in the snow yesterday or if she too is suffering the affects of the neurotoxin.

So here's the deal - MSG is in SO MANY THINGS and it doesn't have to be labeled MSG which is why you need to steer clear of so many, dare I say most packaged foods.  MSG is a NEUROTOXIN and is VERY dangerous.  If you suffer from migraines I would ELIMINATE this from your life... I would eliminate it anyways!!!  Here is some information I am cutting and pasting from a post I have in my drafts.  I am sorry - I do not remember the source.  It's probably Mercola.com.  We made these changes years ago which is why I think this time affected us so strongly.

To be on the safe side, you should also know what ingredients to watch out for on packaged foods. Here is a list of ingredients that ALWAYS contain MSG:
 Autolyzed Yeast  Calcium Caseinate Gelatin 
 Glutamate Glutamic Acid Hydrolyzed Protein 
 Monopotassium Glutamate Monosodium Glutamate  Sodium Caseinate 
 Textured Protein Yeast Extract Yeast Food 
 Yeast Nutrient
       
These ingredients OFTEN contain MSG or create MSG during processing:[10]
 Flavors and Flavorings Seasonings  Natural Flavors and Flavorings  Natural Pork Flavoring Natural Beef Flavoring 
 Natural Chicken Flavoring Soy Sauce  Soy Protein Isolate  Soy Protein  Bouillon 
 Stock  Broth  Malt Extract  Malt Flavoring  Barley Malt 
 Anything Enzyme Modified Carrageenan  Maltodextrin  Pectin  Enzymes 
 Protease  Corn Starch  Citric Acid  Powdered Milk  Anything Protein Fortified 
Anything Ultra-Pasteurized 

One last comment regarding the exposure of infants to processed free glutamic acid (MSG): the presence of processed free glutamic acid (MSG) in infant formulas.
We have found that major brands of infant formula, if not all infant formulas, contain some processed free glutamic acid (MSG). The hypoallergenic soy formulas contain very high levels of MSG. See www.truthinlabeling.org/formulacopy.html for further detail.

Look at that list and see if most of your pantry doesn't end up in the trash!  Geesh!  I know this was a long post but I hope it can help you and your family.

Blessings and stay healthy.
Angela,
Parisienne Farmgirl


11 comments:

Mandy said...

very scary! I have gotten vertigo several times where my first thought too was, "is there an earthquake?" with the lights on the ceiling seemingly spinning. I've found if I drink some water with sea salt in it it helps...not sure why. I wonder now if my issues were from msg...

thewiildmagnola said...

Thank you. It is not worth taking a chance. I think possibly it is doing some amount of damage even if not severe.

Sharing on Facebook.

Christi said...

Oh my goodness, how scary! So glad you're okay!

Lady Courtney said...

Oh my God!!! I too don't eat out very much, and now probably won't again! But now that you mention it, have had milder symptoms similar to yours before after eating out. Wow. Thanks for sharing!!! donna :)

BECKY said...

Hi Angela,
Wow...we do our best to avoid MSG, too, and I have the same list of names hanging inside my cabinet door for quick reference. I knew some of those symptoms, but didn't know about the panic attacks and anxiety! Out of nowhere a few years ago, I began suffering with both of those. And they left almost as quickly as they came. I do my best to not buy any food with it, but know I get it when we eat out. Wish I knew if we were eating out more when the anxiety began. Thanks so much for posting this. I'm so glad you realized what is was, and that you're over it. That and aspartame kill brain cells, and this is information the FDA knows, and isn't protecting us! A letter about aspartame from a medical journal hung in my OB Dr. office almost 30 years ago, and they still approved it. Did you know that they are changing the name of that to Amino Sweet? More deception.

Take care!
Hugs,
Becky

Belle West said...

That is frightening, Angela!! Thank God you and your family are ok. And, thank God for prayer! Greater is He that is in us, than he that is in the world (and all the poisonous foods). I'm learning to pray scripture over everything I eat or drink anymore. "You shall drink any deadly thing and it shall not harm you". Pray it and believe it.

Note: this isn't a license to go around eating and drinking deadly things on purpose~ but in the times we are living, I believe the Word of God is more powerful than the weapons that are formed against us. God bless you, sister. You are such a blessing to me. ❤

shirlgirl said...

Somehow after reading your most recent article, I clicked on one of your older posts and then onto another and ended up on a link about Talking Like A Lady by Mars Hill Church. It was really great. A lot of good references for points well made. Sometimes going off on a rabbit chase is a good thing.

shirlgirl said...

Somehow after reading your most recent article, I clicked on one of your older posts and then onto another and ended up on a link about Talking Like A Lady by Mars Hill Church. It was really great. A lot of good references for points well made. Sometimes going off on a rabbit chase is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Someone sent me your post because I had written very recently about MSG and migraine headaches.
It's true MSG is a powerful substance and it is evreywhere.
What is even scarier about MSG is the relation between a low magnesium level
(which 95% of Americans have)
and the incidence of sudden cardiac death after eating a MSG laden meal.
So glad you're feeling better.
Granny Miller

Diane Barnard said...

I can't imagine how frightening that must have been. I developed an allergy to MSG in my '40s that resulted in migraines so severe I needed medication. Really, all I needed was to avoid MSG. Took me a while to figure it out. I would get so bad that I couldn't stand, but had to crawl from bed to the bathroom. IMO, it's just plain evil to include an ingredient so dangerous and with such painful side effects in baby formula.

SusieQ said...

Scary, indeed! I have a corn allergy and avoid msg at all costs. For me it's like a 4 hour coma(sleep).