PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
v

07 April 2012

What to Wear for Easter

Obviously - it's not about what to wear...
But I LOVE selecting what to wear for Easter Service and dinner.

I was GREATLY influenced by Princess Diana as a child, young girl and newly wed.
I remember seeing how wonderfully she dressed for Easter service...
This was my all time favorite...
Photo: Zazzle
You have no idea how hard I tried to find an outfit like that for Aidan one year... it was when I realized that unless it's some corny clip on tie - most stores don't even OFFER anything for boys to look nice.   I wanted (want) shoes like that for him SO BAD!  
 This photo is so classic.  I mean just LOOK at her!!!!  AMAZING!!!

While we are remembering... here is a clip of the late, great...

Always on the prowl for something classic and for a good deal I was SO pleased to pick up these sweet,  little vintage numbers for my daughters at the Vintage Clothing Show last month.  My guess is they are about 30-35 years old, probably worn once.  I wish they were both Navy - I am a SUCKER for navy blue, especially on Easter and for myself have not found anything I like in navy since Easter 2000.
Sigh.





I wanted to make them their Easter dresses but you really can't beat $20.00 a piece.   Besides, I knocked my sewing machine off the counter and haven't been able to get it fixed yet - going through serious withdrawal!!
Wait til you see them on.  They are so sweet!

For myself,
I have three choices this year, pulled from my closet.
Not a lot of shopping going on these days - I try to really hold back until all the baby weight is gone (almost there!!!)

Option A (ah)
I bought this in Paris 8 years ago at Burton.  I wore it to Notre Dame.  It's so simple and comfortable.  But a little less tailored then I like to be on Easter.   I do love clothes with structure for special days.  
The top is a 3/4 sleeve - and t-shirt material.  A pink shoe would be charming but I don't have any.  I do have these faux lizard from my favorite thrift store - Nine West,  never worn, $10.00.  COME ON! 
 (I bought them in teal too!)
For a necklace I have my great gramma's pink, two strand... so pretty.    I would probably go with a nondescript earring, like my tiny opal studs.


Option B (Bay)
This dress is wonderful!  Found it at TJ Maxx a couple months ago. $50.00.  It's sure to bring me plenty of wear over the next couple years.  It's very well made.  It was a little snug but the cut was great and I HAD to have it.  It fits great now - It's got a great structure to it.  I am not too thrilled with sleeveless aspect but that's because my biceps went to crap with this last pregnancy and have NOT recovered yet. I could do all neutral of course - those neutral heals in the last photo would create a nice long leg on a shorty like me but I do love me some color so I have paired it with these blue shoes.  I do love this necklace, found it at my favorite thrift store for $4.00...wear it ALL the time.  I love the lack of opacity in the stones... they are so milky.  The shoes I bought at Nordstrom  probably 13 years ago.  No, they are not practical.  They were $65.00 and I have worn them about ten times.  To have a robin's egg colored shoe when I need it has been fun but I am actually leaning towards another option with this dress...

Now we are talking!
I LOVE RED SHOES! 
I love wearing them with NOTHING else red!
I found these a couple months ago and they have been a wonderful addition to the wardrobe.  I wear them often with dressy jeans and a white t-shirt. 
 Red patent. 
 Gives me goosebumps.  
This is the ensemble I am most attracted to for tomorrow. I love the blue necklace and red shoes.  Pretty excited.

I love Etienne Ainger shoes (and purses).  And TJ Maxx always has them.  These were $40.00, which is the top of my shoe budget these days!  Ugh, that sounds so sad.  If I shop it's usually at TJ Maxx... it's the only store within an hour of this town that is worth it.  Nordstrom is so far away and 10% sales tax in that town!!!  I like TJM because the clothes are affordable and they last.  This Calvin Klein was only $50.00.  Do you know how many times I will wear this dress this summer?  A-lot.

And finally
Option C (Say)

Yes, to some of you die-hards, it does look familiar. 
 I bought it last  year and wore it 5 months pregnant to my sisters shower (I just pulled the sash up over the bump - it worked!) and last Easter and I wore it last weekend to the launch.  (See, it was $50.00 and I have worn it for three occasions already!  That is so worth it!)
  Talk about structure - this dress had it going on!  
It is such a unique piece of clothing.  Stiff, tailored, fun, well-made and super feminine.   AND - it has pockets so it's a bit on the sporty side.  I love the pockets.... "Hmmm, what should I do with my hands...I know!  I'll put them in my pockets!"
I like the neutral shoe with this.  And the style of the shoe compliments the retro look of the dress too.  
For jewelry I have my light pink watch -  the sportiness goes, it's a more casual selection and keeps the dress from looking too evening-ish
Can't you feel that structure?
Could I USE that word ONE more time???


So, no hats for me this year.
No killer, classic, Diana-esque ensemble.
We'll save that for next year!

Today I am cleaning this house -  I've been taking it pretty easy this week and now there are dust bunnies on the stairway! We had SUCH an amazing week with schooling and as a family, I can't wait to tell you all about it.
Tonight I'll set the table for tomorrow and it's Resurrection cookies and colored eggs with the kids.

Which outfit do you like best?
What styles are you drawn to and why?
&
What are YOU wearing tomorrow?

If I don't catch you before then let me remind you...
Our Savior is risen.
His body is not there!
He is risen!
He is risen - INDEED!

Amitiés,
Angela

25 comments:

Decor To Adore said...

Oh you know I love this post!

I miss her and her fabulous style.

Those girl's dresses! Swoon. If they're cotton you could always dye them navy later.

My vote is for look #2 or #4. In that order. They seem like Easter.

Last year I wore a small fascinator to church and the people wearing flip flops and jean shorts looked at me like I was crazy.

Ggomez said...

So very happy to have you back blogging!
You always look great ,but I LOVE the second look! Those shoes!

Joannah said...

I love your choices! You are so stylish, my friend. Here in So Cal, we do Easter very casually clothing-wise. I was planning on some white capris and a bright blouse. But after reading this, I'm tempted to look through my closet and go dressier. Getting to church this year is probably not going to happen, but we will be lunching with my family, and having dinner with Michael's family. So, it will be a festive day.

He has risen! Let us rejoice. Death is overcome!!! :)

Ana M. Furió said...

The world has changed so much since She left us...

I really love those little dresses, they're so sweet!

In my opinion, option B would be perfect. That dress looks amazing, so stylish. And the blue shoes, oh my! The red ones are also très chic. Wathever you wear, you'll look wonderful as always.

Happy Easter, Sunday's coming!

Love, Ana.

Mandy said...

i like option B!!!! that dress is killer. and with the blue,ahhhhh:) i have had some medical issues since our last little one {um, he turned 4 yesterday} and am still 50 lbs overweight due to them, which has put such a damper on my love of fashion. but always fun to see yours;)

Mandy said...

oh, and the girls dresses? OH MY CUTENESS!!!!

Stephanie said...

I love that neutral dress. You are going to get so much wear out of that for years to come. I'm trying to be more deliberate about my clothing purchases like that, thinking long term and how many ways it can be styled. And I love it with the red shoes.

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Lucky you! I used to dress up every Easter and had my girls in handsmocked dresses with matching handmade coats. We all wore hats too....but that was the 80's when dressing pretty was such fun! Di WAS such an inspiration.
I like #2 with the blue shoes and necklace. With your dark hair you'll look stunning!
Audrey Hepburn is and always will be my ideal inspiration.
Blessings, Lorraine

Kristie said...

I love option B, and cannot wait to see pictures of you and your whole family dressed for Easter!

He has risen indeed!

weissbunt said...

Many French labels sell T-strap shoes for younger boys, the "Prince William look" may not be fashionable any more. Aidan may already have too large feet though ;-) (max. kid size 12). Here is a link for a lovely French label that seems to ship overseas, but the shipping costs may not be worth the whole thing ;-) http://www.dpam.com/salomes-du-24-au-30-p-23770.html?c=527&cPath=2_30_1590

Wishing you and your family wonderful Easter Holidays - maks :-)

Megan said...

I love the photo of Princess Di and her sweet boys. I remember wearing a white hat and robins egg blue dress with white lace collar one Easter. Must have been inspired a bit by Diana. Anyone remember dresses with lace collars? Ah, the 80's, lol! My vote is for the second look, I could not resist the blue shoes! I will be wearing a fitted blue jersey dress with a small print in shades of periwinkle, royal blue and pale yellow scattered along the hem and a matching shrug, because I'm not fond of my soft, slightly plump, but strong arms; "milkfed farmgirl arms" I call them. I think for shoes I'm opting for strappy platform beige leather sandals or my dove gray T-strap heels. You'll look terrific whatever you choose! Happy Easter, He is Alive!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I think you could wear any of those dress styles tomorrow with elegance :) :) Oh, but I do love those red shoes :) :)

Happy EAster to you and your family, too :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Anonymous said...

I love the second dress with the blue shoes..But then again they are all beautiful..Happy Easter to you and your family..

LaPouyette said...

Love this post!!!

Happy Easter to you and yours and greetings from the Périgord,
karin

Anonymous said...

I do love the more casual look in dress these days but also miss dressing up for church. I still do but so many don't. And I have always loved hats. I have many fond memories of some of my Easter morning church outfits as a young girl. I remember a beige linen coat dress and I found orange patent leather shoes and a big picture hat and beige gloves with tiny little orange bows on them. How I loved that outfit. I adore your baby blue shoes outfit. :) Baby blue just spells Easter to me. I found a fabulous wool belted and bowed Rothschild coat for my littlest grand-daughter at a yardsale. Still had the tags on it! It's so classic. I hope her Momma likes it. Loved this post on Easter outfits and I hope you and yours have a blessed and wonderful day. xo

The Norwegian said...

I loved this post - all the clothing and accessories you have laid out to consider are wonderful. I have to say this about the shoes in the photo (is it Harry?)of Princess Dianna and family - I wanted to find those kind for my son when he was little too...Christopher Robin you know. Alas, my daughter used to ask me why Christopher Robin was wearing "party shoes"...like hers.

The Norwegian said...

I loved this post - all the clothing and accessories you have laid out to consider are wonderful. I have to say this about the shoes in the photo (is it Harry?)of Princess Dianna and family - I wanted to find those kind for my son when he was little too...Christopher Robin you know. Alas, my daughter used to ask me why Christopher Robin was wearing "party shoes"...like hers.

à la parisienne said...

I imagine that that neutral dress with the robin egg blue necklace will look very flattering on you with your dark hair and blue eyes. I personally look awful with any beige or khaki color near my face-totally washed out.
And the red shoes should add a kick of unexpected. I wonder what purse you will carry???
I also have a thing for navy. That was the color of my Easter dress last year. This year I wore a vintage-inspired number made by my mama (just blogged about it).

Your little girls dresses look sweet. I do adore vintage!!!!!

Joyeuses Pâques!
Mandy

Amusing Provincial said...

Can't wait to hear which dress you chose. This is the first year in a long time I didn't buy everyone all new outfits. My sis gave me some cute summer clothes for Christmas that I wore for the first time today; fun!!!! Our church is very non traditional so I don't get to dress up very formally but wouldn't that be fun? I always loved the clothes from the movie Polly! I so was born in the wrong era!

Unknown said...

Hi Angela,

Creme de la creme! What you just showed us.
Bravo! Love it.
Totally love the dresses you found for your girls! So Classy.
If I had to pick I totally love the outfit with the Robin Egg Blue shoes and necklace.
I do not know why, but lately I am totally in love with the Robin Egg.
I do not have to have it everywhere just a little here or there.

Hummmmm. Should I really share How disappointed I was today when I got out of the car what my own family totally stylin... and I look around and see the weirdest not so classy combo's out there.
No... I shall not say.
I was dressed like a Paris Cowgirl.
Denim jacket, sleeveless silk blouse with ruffled collar. Vintage black skirt with yes... my dear ole cow boy boots that were a rib out of my hubby body - (sorry Dutch expression - translate to Rib uit mijn lijf!) Actually comes out of the Bible....drifting off here.
Well, Bought those for 12 years ago 4 kids ago for 200 dollars.
Never splurged like that again on shoes/boots. Sigh...

We may not have been dressed as the Royal families... but I was pleased at our appearance.

At least my sons always where their pants with a belt and don't have to hold them up around the butt.

Ooooops...

Till tomorrow!

Unknown said...

By the way... Being a sewaddict myself... I got teary eyed when I read you knocked your sewing machine off the counter...
My goodness girl... I would have serious withdraw issues too.
(That is why I always have the sewing machine from the girls as reserve ;)

jordanbayloronthefarm said...

Loved the video "Sunday's a comin" powerful! And I love the first look. Reminds me of Diana actually, very classic.

Jenah Martin said...

Beautiful photos; I love your style!

Equestrienne and teacher said...

J'adore option B. Mais les manches d'option A, sont plus pratique! J'aime bien ton blog. Merci et bonne journée!

Equestrienne and teacher said...

J'adore option B. Mais les manches d'option A, sont plus pratique! J'aime bien ton blog. Merci et bonne journée!